Rural Opportunity Zones

Ellis County is recognized as a Kansas Rural Opportunity Zone (ROZ). If you are an eligible employee, you may qualify for one or both of the following financial incentives by establishing new, full-time residency within Ellis County:
  • Student Loan Repayment Assistance, for up to $15,000 over 5 years
  • Kansas State Income Tax Credit, 100% for up to 5 years
ROZ One Page Tax 1 (002)_Page_1

Student Loan Repayment Assistance

New residents to Ellis County, after June 21, 2021, may be eligible for the assistance provided they have an active student loan, along with hold a completed associate, bachelor's, or postgraduate degree. The student loan repayment assistance component of the ROZ program aims to help rural communities recruit individuals with higher educations and a broader range of skills to fill positions within the county. 

The student loan repayment assistance portion of ROZ is administered by the Kansas Department of Commerce. Eligible individuals can receive up to $3,000 per year, for five years to apply toward their student loans. 

To view complete information regarding eligibility and to apply visit the Kansas Office of Rural Prosperity website
ROZ One Page Student 2_Page_2

100% State Income Tax Credit

New residents may be eligible for up to five years of state tax credits for their personal income taxes. The five-year tax credit aims to relieve some of the costs associated with a move, such as obtaining a new driver's license, registering and insuring an automobile, paying required deposits for rent and utilities, and finding new health care providers, among other things. Participants must not have lived in Kansas for the past five years and have not had a Kansas source of income exceeding $10,000 per year during the previous five years immediately prior to establishing their domicile. 

The tax credit portion of ROZ is administered by the Kansas Department of Revenue. Participants in the program must file the tax credit request along with their state taxes through electronic filing. 

Complete information regarding eligibility can be found on the Kansas Department of Revenue website