Unclaimed Property

Unclaimed property consists of many types of intangible personal property held by the State that has been unclaimed by its rightful owner. Common types of unclaimed property include:

  • Inactive savings and checking accounts
  • Uncashed checks
  • Stock shared, bond, and dividend checks
  • Insurance proceeds
  • Wages
  • Mineral royalties
  • Utility deposits
  • Safe deposit box contents

All businesses, as well as State and local governments, who have held properties for a specified time and were not able to locate the rightful owner, notify the State of unclaimed property.

Once unclaimed property is turned over to the State the State serves as a permanent custodian of the property until the rightful owner is found. All money is held in the State general fund for the benefit of all citizens of Kansas.

The Kansas State Treasurer is committed to actively seeking the rightful owners of unclaimed property.
No fees are assessed to reclaim unclaimed property. If the State is holding your property, you do not have to pay a fee or service charge to reclaim it. If you are contacted by any individual or firm offering to return unclaimed property to you for a fee, be aware that you can claim the property yourself directly from the State Treasurer at no charge to anyone.

You may research unclaimed property for yourself or a family member by doing one of the following:

Or write to:
Kansas State Treasurer
Unclaimed Property Division
900 SW Jackson, Suite 201
Topeka, KS 66612-0386